Monday, April 10, 2017

Page 140 and Page 141


Page 140:

gotten tougher there as well and they weren't able to make much more than what they needed to survive. After having stayed there for a few years they journeyed back to New Denmark, settled there and lived on the same piece of land until they both died. It was during the spring of 1874 when they really started their farming enterprise. However, on the 24th of July 1883 her husband passed away and she remained a widow until I arrived on the scene. So she had her second wedding on the 5th of September 1885. She had two daughters, whom I've mentioned already. Even though it wasn't a lot of kids, I can't help but wonder if it was her constant worry and grief for those kids that hastened her death, because there was always something going on with them. My wife fell ill immediately following Sine's passing. So she went to the hospital and had an operation after which she seemed to get better. However, it was short lived and she fell ill again and she continued to get worse until she died on the 16th of August 1906. A short while before she died she gave me Hanne's ring to keep and give to Artey. I gave it to George Rockwell. At the same time she also had her last will and testament drawn up as well as a written agreement regarding personal property.
    


Page 141:
(this entry was written in his English and will therefore remain that way)

Copy of Maria Hemmingsen's last will

I Maria Hemmingsen of New Denmark in the County of Brown in the State of Wisconsin being of sound Mind and Memory do make, publish and declare this my last Will and Testamentr hereby revoking all former Wills bequests and devises by me made.
After the payment of my just Debt and Funeral Expenses I fgive devise and bequest to my Daughters. Daughter Hazel Caroline Kirstrine Rasmusen (a child now about 10 months old) all my right title and interests wichs I have in and to certain real Estate in Brown County Wisconsin, Namely in the South West quarter of the North West quarter of Sextion 15 Town 22 Range 22 being one undivided half thereof under a Deed of date March 1901 recorded September 5th 1901. Provided that my said Grandchild skal leve to become of the age of twenty one 21 years and the income from my said Estate skal each year be invested for her benefit and the amount or amounts thereof be paid to her when she arrives at the age of 21 years(turn page)

   

No comments:

Post a Comment