Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Page 136 and Page 137


Page 136:

Caroline was born on the 31st of August 1880. She was never really that well physically but she was quick on the uptake when learning new things. This rang true for both school and around the home where she was never afraid to get her hands dirty and get things done. She was confirmed on the 21st of April 1895 by Pastor TJ Ostergaard in New Denmark. From that point on she did leave for a while in order to go earn some money but she did spend most of her time at home. When she turned 21 years of age, she and her mother told me that I could have the farm if I wanted it. Naturally I had to officially buy it and pay for it. (Through this action my wife fulfilled the promise she made to me when I first moved in. However, I didn't inquire as to what exactly what costs were involved and they weren't forthcoming with what they were looking for either. As a matter of fact I ended up telling them that I didn't want it. I felt that I was to old to put myself in that kind of debt and it didn't look like any of my sons were thinking about sticking around to work the land. It also didn't feel right that Sine should be driven from her ancestral home when she in fact was the only heir. So I suggested to them that everything should remain the way it was for as long as we lived together. Upon hearing this, Sine said that she would


Page 137:

look at me as if I were her father and that for as long as I lived there I could consider the house and land to be my property. It was during the winter of 1901-02 that mother and I offered Albert and Sine the opportunity to rent the farm as partners. However, she quickly quickly declined, stating that she had no interest in doing that, neither by herself or with a partner. Albert was far more forthcoming and took the deal that we offered. He took over everything and was also to pay all expenses, including $36.00 which went to mother and me. He also hired Sine for one year and he paid her $1.00 a week. He was also supposed to receive all earnings from the farm between the 1st of April 1902 and the 1st of April 1903 but after that period he wanted to be done. After that the farm was rented by Peter Olsen for the period of one year which ran from the 8th of April 1903 to the 8th of April 1904. Peter rented it for the amount of $160.00 which was to be paid over four quarters. Sine moved in with him and worked there for a while but that fall she got married and left with her husband Rasmus to move to Amasa where he was from. However, that winter she came down with influenza and was unable to shake it. On the 18th of June 1905 she had a daughter, but she continued to feel ill, so she got the idea that 

No comments:

Post a Comment