Friday, March 24, 2017

Page 126 and Page 127


Page 126:

and I sent him $15.00 to cover his return trip home. During the summer of 1900 he fell ill, which got him $65.00 in payout from his medical insurance through the Ansgur Lodge and was brought to him by Jørgen Larsen. It then happened that in the fall of 1900 that Carl Marcusen, who was a fire insurance agent, journeyed on to the next life. Time kept speeding towards the 1st of January and towards a meeting where they were to elect someone to replace him. So I asked Jørgen if he thought he was able to fulfill the responsibilities of an insurance agent. 
What good does it do to think about that, he says. I'm sick and I'm not in any shape to walk anywhere. I don't have a horse to get me where I need to go so why bother wasting another thought on it. I told him to consider the job since they already had the horses and that he would be able to take one of them whenever he wanted to. When there were only a few days left I implored him to get out there and campaign for the job. He simply brushed me aside saying that campaigns cost money which was another thing that he didn't have any of. I tell him that we can fix that. I hand him $2.00 and tell him to go and put the horses in front of the wagon. Then he should head to town and visit the saloons where he'd be able to find people with whom he could speak about his desire to become a fire insurance agent. 



Page 127:

He had to face facts. He wasn't well and couldn't engage in any sort of hard labor. However, if he went out there and bought people a few drinks I was certain that it would all turn out alright. So forth he went and everything worked out. So in the beginning of January 1901 he officially became an agent and even won a reelection in January of 1902. However, at the end of 1902 he gave up and couldn't do it anymore. The pay that resulted from him taking this job was not enough to cover his expenses and I constantly had to help him financially. I will say though that it seemed to be benefiting him since it gave him something to do and acted as a distraction from his ailments. I ensured that his associations and insurances remained in good standing for several years. If I hadn't done that they would have lost all of their value and I was earning pretty good interest off of my investment. It was towards the summer of 1903 that he asked if his medical insurance money was all gone. He was referring to the $65.00 he had gotten some time ago but I ignored him because I couldn't stomach telling him that it had run out some time ago. Then one day he tells me that it would be best if he gets the land he he owns signed out of his name before he dies. So on the 18th of July 1903 Albert got the deed for the land and Jørgen died a few months later on the 29th of September 1903.

No comments:

Post a Comment