Friday, March 17, 2017

Page 120 and Page 121


Page 120:

On the 9th of September 1887 Lars Andersen died in Green Bay in an accident that involved a walking bridge which crossed the street by Britton's Cooper Shops. He was driving a bus for Andrew Reise and had been on the North side of town with passengers that he had picked up at the train depot. He had driven the route plenty of times and just as he was passing the bridge he made the decision to stand up from his seat. The bridge was so low that he got his head stuck between the bridge and the top of the cart. He very likely died on the spot. I had been in Green Bay with a load of barley and had just returned home when John Bartolene approached me and shared this story with me. He wanted me to return to the city because they were looking to bury him that same night. I declined but told him that I would go there first thing in the morning instead. So, at 2:00 AM, in the middle of the night Jens and I drove back to town and arrived there around breakfast time. Lars Andersen was then burried before noon on the 10th of September 1887 in the cemetery South of Green Bay. I believe Monroe Avenue could take you straight there. The grave has the number 127 (127) on it and it is just inside the gate on the right hand sight, right up against the fence 



Page 121:

on the northern side of the cemetery. We were back at Reis's hotel around noon and had lunch there. After we had finished the dining room filled up with people and I bought them all two rounds of drinks and thanked them all on Lars's behalf. Reis sent a a bottle of booze for me and Jens and Britton payed for the funeral.
That afternoon much talk circulated around Lars's funeral. There were those who thought that his body might not be allowed to remain in the grave. They thought so because everyone was asked to mount their wagons and leave as soon as he had been lowered into the ground. This assertion was based on the idea that a couple of doctors might have bought the rights to his body from him while he was still alive. Other were discussing how easy it would be to get Britton to pay damages since his bridge was obviously way to low. So I decided to head out to the cemetery to see if the grave still stood open, but it had been filled in to I quickly returned. I then headed over to speak with Britton and ask him if he didn't think he might end up paying damages because of his bridge being too low. He told me very politely that if it was decided that this was his duty then he'd be more than happy to do so. He then tells me that I was more than welcome to try and sue him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment