Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Page 124 and Page 125


Page 124:

and a few days later they both journeyed up there. Jens was only there for the duration of the winter but Jørgen stayed there for several years, until 1892 I believe. Later on he went to Iron Mountain and stayed there for several years. While he was in Marinette he joined a lodge that belonged to the Coalition of Danish Organizations from which he received 2 payments of $65 while he was sick and meant to help offset medical expenses. From the same place he also received $50 to assist with funeral expenses. He was also a member of Foresters where he was insured for $1000 which was made payable to me following his death.
On the 1st of May 1895 mother and I sold the 40 acres of land to Jørgen. We had the papers drawn up at home and I then traveled to Iron Mountain where I had him sign them. At the same time I got a lease on  the land for the duration of my life or fifteen years. I took the papers back home with me and brought them to the court house so that they would be officially on record. Back then Jørgen was boarding with Peter Andersen and Sofie. One time when he was in Iron Mountain he wrote to me asking me if I could find him som land for $2-300. I did find him something and he took a mortgage in Julius Mathisen's farm in the amount of $200.


Page 125:

In the meantime he had gotten tired of working on the railroad which is why he returned home for a while. He got a job working in Kemvitz's Furniture Factory in Gren Bay. However, he wasn't a well man and was forced sell his mortgage to Goldsmit's daughter after which he traveled to Chicago to stay at a hospital. On the 6th of April 1898 he paid $100 to Doctor Demer along with another $100 on other expenses. He returned back home for a short while and later got a job with Eearnelius Conley in Green Bay where he was building vehicles. This Conley had a brother who was the secretary for the Forester's lodge in Green Bay. He, along with Doctor Tippedo whom Jørgen had sought out for help, both pulled strings to assist Jørgen in becoming a member of the Forester's lodge and he was consequently insured for $1000. All of this took place in the summer of 1899. Immediately after getting accepted into the Foresters he got the idea in his head that he would travel to Canada to see Maria and Rasmus. However, he got sick in route and required medical care which used up the rest of his money and he consequently abandoned his travels. He sent a telegram to Hans Christian asking for money for his journey home, but only got enough to make it to Iowa to Jørgen Andersen's place where he wrote a letter to me 

No comments:

Post a Comment