Friday, March 3, 2017

Page 108 and Page 109


Page 108:

It's very likely that the farm wouldn't have been able to bring in as much as what Mr. Brown offered me but that wouldn't have been my problem. I could never have asked for a better opportunity to look around for a farm that I could buy for myself. However, my wife didn't want run her own farm, and this became a deciding factor for why this deal fell through. So time just kind of kept going by until my wife passed away. 
I of course had to continue to go to work each day and therefore I never got to see my children or really grasp how they were doing. Sometimes I was well aware that they, like most children, were getting into trouble but I was unable to do anything about that. I couldn't just stay home from work in order to take care of them. Yet another issue was that Maria had been engaged for sometime and I didn't know if she all of a sudden would start entertaining ideas about marriage. This would of course have put me in a rather embarrassing position, having young sons and all. 
In the beginning of the month of July 1885, I left for Green Bay to order a tombstone



Page 109:

New Denmark

for my wife's grave and I was able to get it delivered that August. It cost $30.00. There is a mistake in my text when it states that she died on the 24th of August 1885, it should have read 1884. While I was in Green Bay I also went to New Denmark to visit old acquaintances. I met with a lot of people and among them was the one who would become my second wife. Back then I had no thoughts of getting married again, but after I had returned to Negaunee my thoughts kept trailing back and forth between New Denmark and my wife who had passed and I ended up writing her and proposing to her and she said yes. I left Negaunee on the 28th of August and arrived in New Denmark on the 29th of August 1885. It was exactly twelve years to the day when I first left there to go to Negaunee. I had my three small boys; Jørgen, Jens and Albert, as well as Hans and Maria



No comments:

Post a Comment