Monday, March 20, 2017

Page 122 and Page 123


Page 122:

I told him that I had no right to pursue such an avenue and that it was up to Lars's brother and my children. He tells me that once I have spoken with them we can talk further. I then wrote a letter to Jørgen Andersen who in turn gave me power of attorney to act in his place and I was of course acting on my children's behalf. So when I was ready to talk to Britton again, I headed back to town and met with him at his office. However, as soon as we started talking I realized that he now was singing a different tune. He told me that he had paid for all of the funeral expenses and that this ought to be sufficient. As for he bridge, he admitted building it, but he did so according to the guidelines set forth by the city council and they bore some responsibility as well. So if I wanted to sue someone I would have to sue the city. He also chose to share a few words regarding Lars's character and I didn't want to hear any of it. I considered saying something but chose instead to bite my tongue. During this conversation I also learned that Lars once had found


Page 123:

a rope that had a cow tied to it at the other end. However, Black was back then a member of the city council in Fort Howard and he had been a friend to Lars. Black spoke with Johan Hylsenberg who in turn wrote to me about sending money to pay for a ticket for Lars. I did so immediately and that was how we got Lars away from the city. This is the same time I had discussed earlier, when Lars came to Negaunee, but at the time I was unaware as to why he was there. Britton was also a member of the city council, as was Hans Hansen from New Denmark  was also in attendance at Lars's funeral and the priest doing the service spoke and sang in German.
In the winter of 1887-88 Jørgen was in Negaunee and was confirmed in the spring of 1888, to be precise I think it was on the 15th of May.
On the 19th of September 1888 mother and I went to Negaunee for a short trip and it also happened to be the same time as John Larsen's birthday, so there was a lot going on. We were there for about a week and since we both had many old acquaintances in the area we ended up having a great time there. On our way home we ran into Niels Christensen at the train depot in Marinette and he in turn told us that he needed both Jørgen and Jens to come work on the railroad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment