Monday, June 27, 2016

Page 58 and Page 59


Page 58:

My neighbors who did have permission to make such transactions were left more than a little cross by me doing this and they reported me to the authorities. So it went that one Sunday as the bowling alley was up and running that I got a visit from Otto Hansen, who was the magistrate from Roholte i.e. the police. He demanded half a beer, which I proceeded to serve him, but when he tried to pay for it I merely replied that it didn't cost anything and that nothing here was for sale. "That's what I thought!" he replied. "I know the law and taking money for the beer would be a violation. I'll tell why I'm here, you have been reported for the illegal sale of beverages and I advice you to stop immediately before you get yourself into a heap of trouble." I thanked him for his kind consideration and the respect he showed in dealing with me. I then proceeded to tell everyone who was present what was going on and asked them to stop bowling immediately. The following day I drove to Storeheddinge and sought permission for me to build a bowling alley in my yard. The police chief there told me that no one could tell me that I wasn't allowed to cover my entire yard in bowling lanes, which was just fine. I then inquired if it was possible for me to get permission (license) to sell beverages on sight. "Oohh, I thought that might be what this was all about!" So he proceeded to inquire as to how far I was from the nearest



Page 59:

inn or other establishment where one could purchase a drink. I told him the truth and he let me know that there was no way I could secure such a permission. So I returned home and the very next day I dismantled the bowling alley to ensure that I couldn't get into any more trouble. So then I was done with the whole mercantile bit, or rather I made the decision for me to be done because I could see it wouldn't have worked out in the long run. I was now left with a substantial amount of unsold beverages in my house which I was afraid to sell. So I made an arrangement with the authorities and got permission to hold a dance in my yard. During that day, and the following night I sold 80 crowns worth of drinks. There I was, having to feed a horse that wasn't doing me any good. So I began digging marl and used the horse to help me spread it all over the property. There was also a large piece that was rather marshy which I filled in. Later on I drained the entire lot which left the property in tip top shape. The last year I harvested I got 36 barrels of seed which was a lot compared to the four I got the first year. Another thing that greatly helped the further improvement of the condition of the property was that my father-in-law was a road worker for two years. I then went and replaced him in his position for another two. We were to cover 3/4 of a Danish mile in our district and it was our responsibility to keep the grass and shrubs at bay. From the side of the road, and into the ditches we were allowed to keep everything we removed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment