Friday, June 10, 2016

Page 44 and Page 45


Page 44:

kicked off her clogs, grabbed her skirts with both hands and lifted them up high enough so that we were able to see how skillfully she was able to move her feet. It so happened that she was wearing tights at the time and she ended up stepping on her own toes, after which she fell and broke one of her arms. Needless to say, the dancing quickly came to a halt.
Starting on the first of May 1854 I was supposed to get 30 crowns for one years work and from the first of May 1855 I contracted myself only for another six months in exchange for 17 crowns. I did this because I thought I was getting too old to only be making a boy's wages. So during the summer of 1855 mother let Hans Jørgen have the farm and he also went and got married around the same time.
Also, during the summer of 1855 my youngest sister Maria was wed to a smallholder by the name of Frederick Hansen who had a parcel of land called Vibede. Then in November of the same year I moved in with Frederick and Maria, where I was supposed to earn 40 crowns for one year. His parcel of land was about 10 acres in size and he was known to be a farmer. He also dabbled in the sale of chickens and other small merchandise. In addition he also had two horses and we would both ride around the country side buying the peasant's goods such as eggs, butter, bacon, chickens, geese and hides.



Page 45:

Pretty much everything that the peasantry had to offer, with the exception of seeds and marten. When ever we had gathered enough for an entire load we would head for Copenhagen where we would sell our entire haul. Every ten to fourteen days, once we had sold everything we bought a lot of general merchandise such as "groceries" which my sister then in turn sold out of her house. One time, when we had sold all of our goods, except for one tub of butter, I took it under my arm and walked down to the market place in order to try and sell it. While I was there, a policeman approached me and inquired as to what exactly I had in my tub? "Butter:" I said, to which he replied; "Are you trying to sell it?" "Yes I was!" "What do you want for it?" I told him and as soon as I had he told me that I was under arrest. "Why;" I asked? "Don't you know that you don't have permission to peddle your goods in this here marketplace. That is a right reserved for the peddling women. You have to sell it from the back of a cart!" He proceeded to grab me by the arm and dragged me away but I resisted him. However, he proceeded to blow into a small whistle and right away two more officers showed up, leaving me with few options but to go along. As it dawned on me that they meant business I changed my demeanor and indicated that I would comply with their demands.

No comments:

Post a Comment