Monday, June 6, 2016

Page 40 and Page 41


Page 40:

but to work in the blacksmith shop himself. I was thanks to him that I was able to learn a lot in a very short amount of time. He took over swinging the sledgehammer and I was in charge of the fire. Throughout our partnership I learned much in a short period of time, little good it did me though! In the month of January I fell ill with pneumonia and Doctor Marier from Vemmeltofte forbade me to return to work. He told me that my lungs no longer could handle the smoke from the coal fire. Before this I had entered an agreement with the blacksmith that I was to apprentice with him for three years. During that time I was to receive nothing but my meals in exchange for my time. I also had permission to use the master's coal as well as his iron, and I was allowed to smith away to my hearts desire but only on Sundays. By this time I had learned enough to make 10 Mark from my work each Sunday. During my time there I got acquainted with a boy who was around my own age and who was an apprentice to Mr. Grum who was a merchant by trade and our neighbor. After my workday was done, I would go into the store and help the boy peel raisins off of the stalks. We were allowed to eat as many raisins as we wanted or perhaps we merely gave ourselves permission to do so. In the end I got sick of them, probably because I ate way too many. 



Page 41:

So I ended up apprenticing for 3/4 of a year and then ended up staying home until I got better. It was during the summer, while I was apprenticed with the blacksmith that my sister Sofie got married to our neighbor Ole Gabrielsen.
Back when Hans Jørgen came home, the main farmhand didn't like the lay of the land and the direction everything was headed in so he resigned his post. My mother became very sad upon hearing this because she had gotten to know him as a honest and loyal master of his craft. Therefore she made him the offer of taking over the farm as well has getting my sister Maria's hand in marriage, as long as she would have him. However, he didn't want either one of them and she instead gave him fine linens for a bed. He settled down as a clog maker in Orup.
So my mother contracted an older man named Hans Hansen, who was married to our father's sister Kristen, as the main farm hand. They owned a house with no land attached to it in Vallebo, but he wasn't good for anything other than teaching us how to play cards and hustling us out of our money. However, one night while we were playing cards we got into a fight over the game and he and Hans Jørgen got physical. Hans Jørgen managed to


No comments:

Post a Comment