Monday, June 13, 2016

Page 46 and Page 47


Page 46:

Upon hearing this the other two officers took off and I was left with the one who initially grabbed me. I offered him a dollar if he would let me go and I told him that it was out of sheer ignorance that I got into this situation. However, he said that too many had seen what I had done and that he had to take me to the police station. There I would have to pay five crowns as bail, which of course would have to come out of Frederick's share. This event left Frederick in a rather grumpy mood and he proceeded to say things that made me feel cross. So I quit my job with him and left the first of November. During my time together with Frederick, it so happened that Lars Jensen and Laurenze      were wed and we were all invited. On the first of November I journeyed to Holtegaard where I earned a living as a simple farmhand for one year and got fifty crowns. I was then rehired for an additional year for 70 crowns along with a promotion. I was working for an old widow who had a son who had been married for a few years. It was decided that he ought to return home and take over the farm. He wanted to keep me on but I didn't want to stay and chose to leave instead. So now I had no job and it didn't look good for someone


Page 47:

to be without a place to live. As a matter of fact, it was against the law and one could receive a fine for vagrancy. However, at that time I had a hard time finding a job that I liked. So I got the idea to learn how to make wooden clogs. I had moved my chest into the house belonging to Hans Jørgen and even lived there temporarily. It so happened that I reached an accord with Johan Eggert Christofer Knudsen, who worked at the Faxe quarry, that he would teach me how to make wooden clogs.
In return for him teaching me how to make them I was to give him five thaler! However, while I was his apprentice I was required to feed myself, as well as a supplying my own wood for working on. I was also responsible for the procurement and upkeep of my own tools because he didn't want his personal tools to get damaged. Everything went really well, and on the 19th day of my apprenticeship I made three pais of wooden clogs. At this point he tells me that if I can manage to make three pairs in one day then I had officially surpassed his own skill level. He himself was unable to produce clogs at such a rate and he suggested that I should be come a journeyman. He seemed unconcerned about actually inspecting the clogs for their degree of craftsmanship. That night Johan and I pooled our money and bought a pint of schnapps for four schilling. We proceeded to drink it until our neighbor and his wife, whom everyone referred to 

No comments:

Post a Comment