Monday, May 30, 2016

Page 34 and Page 35


Page 34:

because we were using wagons for hauling. So he would add a third horse which I was supposed to lead up and out of the hole. However, since the path out of the hole was very narrow and there was the constant danger of me stumbling and falling. There was a constant chance of me getting crushed by either the horses or by the wagon. Therefore I had to ride on the lead horse. Riding him up and out of the pit and then back down to hitch him in front of the next load. At that time I was about 11 years old! Then, during the following winter, he constructed some marl boxes that sat on two wheels and were drawn by a single horse. So the following summer, when we once again where digging for marl we went ahead and used the new boxes. I got to be the driver of one of those carts, but on the very first load that I hauled, the entire operation went south. I chose to put the tailgate down first after which I pulled a pin in the front of the cart. As soon as I had pulled said pin the entire load started dropping out of the back of the cart. Once the load started moving it immediately pulled back the horse and the trace. Due to my lack of familiarity with the equipment I found myself standing too close and pinning my left leg in between the wheel and the trace making it impossible for me to move. I had to call for help and it wasn't long before some of them came to my aid. They motioned for the horse to take a step forward which was enough to release my leg. However, it was quite a while



Page 35:

Danske Bogstaver
before my knee got better because of how badly it had gotten crushed. There wasn't much to say about my schooling since there was never really enough time to go to school and I was just as happy being able to stay home. As long as I was in what we referred to as the "Small class" we'd go to school every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The older children who were in the "Big class" went on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. In the "Small class we had to learn how to write the lower case letters as follows:
 and in  the "Big class" we had to write the upper case letters the following way
These are what we back then called the upper and lower case letters. However, during the final years of my schooling we were also required to learn how to write the Latin letters that we use now. We also had to practice writing words as well as entire sentences, and even letters and the like. Back then it was the norm that all announcements, posters and notices, that were posted on street corners and on the side of houses were collected and brought to the schools for the children 


No comments:

Post a Comment