Monday, February 20, 2017

Page 98 and Page 99


Page 98:

On to Negaunee

Now it was time for our little travelling fellowship to break apart since Peter Hansen, his wife, their son Thorwald along with Jens Hansen, who all were from Mosebølle in Roholte County, were all heading towards Suamico. While the rest of us, along with Jens Christensen traveled on to New Denmark.

Tuesday the 26th

At 9:00 AM we left Green Bay and at 3:30 we arrived in New Denmark at Johan Hylsenberg's place, where we stayed for a while and visited with old acquaintances. 

Wednesday the 27th

Thursday the 28th

During those days we visited with Hans Hansen and Maren Sofie - and good old Hans Petersen - Niels Christoffersen - Niels Hansen and Christian from Hyllede.

Friday the 29th

Around 2:00 AM Christian Hansen was nice enough to drive us from New Denmark to Green Bay and at 7:30 AM we were back on a train again. We made it to Negaunee at 5:00 PM in the afternoon and by 6:00 PM we were at Niels Johansen's place where we stopped temporarily.

Saturday the 30th

We visited Jens Johansen, as well as Peter Johansen and his wife.

Sunday the 31st

We rested.


Page 99:

On Monday the 1st of September I went to work in Negaunee as a mason working on a stone house. I was supposed to receive three dollars a day but I was only there for two days. I was done, and when I got my six dollars the supervisor offered me $3.50 a day to continue working until the onset of winter, but I politely declined.

Wednesday the 3rd

Jørgen Andersen and I went to Michigamme to see about some work, but I didn't like that place either so I just walked away.

September 10th

I got myself a job doing the masonry work in a basement that belonged to Captain Henry Merry and it lasted until the 17th.

September 18th

We began building our house.

September 28th

We moved in.

On the 1st of October I began working for the Jackson Iron Company at the South Jackson Mine. I worked there until the 28th of October when the snow came and all of the work was halted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment