Monday, February 27, 2017

Page 104 and Page 105


Page 104:

We were sent there to locate and even acquire land for about 100 Danish families. However, this trip turned out to be a complete waste of time since we were unable to find arable land, or grass lands, or water or trees for that matter. 
I had sent in my membership application in to the United Workers  for consideration, but I left there before it even came under consideration by the board.
I was a juror for the circuit court in Marquette.
I will come back to this, but I skipped a page in my diary.
February 2nd 1881 - Albert Hemmingsen was born.
May 5th 1881 - Hans Christian started working for Nick Laughling.
October 13th 1881 - Jørgen Andersen and I went to New Denmark. We returned on the 17th.
October 22nd 1881 - Jørgen Andersen got married and the 24th of that month he moved to Iowa.
November 14th 1881 - Lars Andersen joined us. I had sent him $10.00 to cover him traveling from Green Bay to Negaunee and incurred an additional expense of $21.00 for his clothes.



Page 105:

The 9th of May 1882 Jens Peter Hemmingsen arrived from Denmark. He would stay with us and I had an expenditure of $19.50 for clothes for him. The two last people that I mentioned were very smart and antagonistic. They had a hard time getting along with anyone, and they didn't stay with us for very long. 
December 1st 1883 - We founded the first lodge of the Danish Sisterhood of America in Negaunee Michigan. It was Stine Hemmingsen, my wife, who deserves the honor for the founding of this society and I truly believe that had it not been for her, this organization would never have seen the light of day. I did it in her name and it brought me immense joy to be able to do something that would adequately elevate her to the position of rightful founder of the Danish Sisterhood of America. However, it was a bit strange that she was the first of the members to pass away and I would be the first to receive the insurance that I was to receive following her death.

No comments:

Post a Comment