Friday, February 24, 2017

Page 102 and Page 103


Page 102:

June 25th 1877 - Hans Christian began taking music lessons.
March 9th - William Johansen traveled to Colorado.
March 26th - Hans began working in the Jackson Carpentry Shop. 
August 25th - A Sunday school was started and I was a teacher there until I thought that the girls shouldn't be allowed to bring dolls to school. Then it sort of all fell apart.
October 25th - My wife gave born to a stillborn girl.
I was the chairman of the Danish Health Insurance Union in Negaunee and resigned that post on the 6th of January 1877.
In the month of December of 1877 I began attending night classes that were taught by John Jones, who was a lawyer and was hired to teach me English. However, the third night I went he told me that there was no use for me to keep going because I could both read and write anything. I merely needed to work on my pronunciation and he couldn't help me with that, so I stopped going. We had a small group in Negaunee and I was its chairman for quite some time.
  


Page 103:

We also had a choir group and I was a member of it. 
There was also an exploration company where I held the position of chairman.
On the 16th of February 1882 we founded lodge #6 of the Danish Brotherhood with 19 charter members and I was the lodge's first chaplain. Then, later on I held the office of president and later that of vice-president. I was a delegate at the convention in Racine in 1883 where I was chosen as a member of the national board of directors. 
At this convention where we only were seven members in attendance, we founded the Dannebro Publishing Company, of which John T. Poulsen of Davenport, Iowa became the managing editor. 
In 1884 I went as a member of the national board of directors for the Danish Brotherhood to their convention in Clinton Iowa. I was also a member of the Independent Orders of Odd Fellows Lodge #122 in Negaunee where I held the post of corresponding Secretary. It was a position that I held until I left Negaunee.
We also had a real estate acquisition company which sent me to North Dakota along with Lars Hansen and Rasmus Viberg who was from Racine.  

No comments:

Post a Comment