Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Page 6 and page 7


Page 6:

During the summers he'd walk around in white linen pants and in the winter he'd wear pants made from deer hides. He had a pair of long trousers that were tied off near the ankles. He also had a pair of shorts that went down to just below his knees where they were fastened using a leather strap and a large metal clasp which was positioned on the outside of the leg. In the summers he'd wear shoes with a large white metal buckle attached to the instep. He also wore long stockings that went above the knees and were secured with woven or braided garters that in turn were made from red and white wool. These garters were long enough to reach 2-3 times around the leg and to make a bow that was placed right by the abovementioned buckle. He also owned two pairs of long boots that went up to just below the garters. The idea was that the garters were to be visible in the space between the top of the boots and the bottom of the short pants. I was a little more than nine years of age when my father died and even though I can picture him clearly in my head, I don't recall him being very active or enterprising. However, he wasn't home much because he was, for his time, a rather


Page 7:

renowned veterinarian. I remember accompanying him to Taagerup where he cured a sick horse as well as a sick cow. In that place there was also an old woman who sought his advice. She was very constipated and he told her to roast apples on the top of the woodstove as well as heat some beer. She was then to go ahead and consume plenty of both. A few days later we were back in said town and the old woman informed him that his advice had helped a lot. One time my father had some candy and he would give it to the one of us kids who could run the most times around the courtyard. Brothers and sisters were lined up barefoot in the snow, but I just stood there and cried. However, if I remember right I ended up getting my share of the candy in the end. Another time I attended a party in Orup, I think it was for the baptism of Jens Johansen. Afterwards we gathered in the house of Johan Hylsenberg's neighbor, the same exact house I would later receive when I got married. We played with the children that lived there, and among them was a little girl of about 2-3 years of age. I paid no special attention to her but it was this girl who after 18 more years would become my wife. As we were driving home    










No comments:

Post a Comment