Friday, April 1, 2016

Page 8 and Page 9


Page 8:

that night I experienced a sharp pain in the left side of my chest. It was so bad that I couldn't remain seated next to my mother, but instead I had to lay down in the bed of the wagon. I've continued to suffer much throughout my life from that stinging, especially when I catch a cold. The only project that I remember father undertaking or having done was the excavation and building of a well in the middle of the courtyard. A carpenter built the roof over the well and on one of the corner posts he carved the year 1844 in Roman numerals
DVIIIXXXXIIII
Father only lay ill for a few days. One day he stood up and wearing nothing but his nightshirt and his clogs he ventured out into the courtyard. My two sisters grabbed him by the arms and tried to guide him back inside. However, he lead them out of the courtyard and down the road towards town, my sisters by his side the entire time. After he seemingly had walked as far as he desired to he turned around and walked back home. He died a few days later and I remember the funeral well. A wooden cross was placed as a marker on his grave. It was painted white with black lettering.

Page 9:

My mother's name was Ane Elisabeth Hansdatter. She was born in 1799 and died on the morning of Pentecost in 1860 at the age of 61. She was the daughter of the former Hans Hartvig and his wife Ane Johanne Johansdatter who both hailed from the city of Orup in Roholte County. I don't recall much about my mother's father, but her mother I remember quite well. My aunt Kristine Johans had several times spoken about that my mother was supposed to have married someone else before she married my father. She was supposed to have married a man whom I knew, whose name was Niels Mathiasen and he lived in Houby. Her marriage was arranged and she moved in with him. Then it happened that there was a feast where they were both in attendance and for which his sister was in charge of the food preparation. Once everyone was seated his sister replaced two of the porridge bowls and I don't recall if she switched his or my mother's. However, immediately following the meal he pulled my mother aside and told her that he wasn't sure what had come over him but he could no longer stand the sight of her. Shortly thereafter their engagement was dissolved. Whether it was because 

No comments:

Post a Comment