Tuesday, March 15, 2016

The Hemmingsen Text: Diary, family history, legacy.

     Some ten years ago when I was still a student at Northern Michigan University where I was pursuing a degree in history I registered for a history class where the overall grade was largely based upon a large research paper that we were to have ready for the end of the semester. As students we were tasked with finding and defining our own research topic which then went to the professor for approval. Many of my peers chose to highlight different aspects relating to what it meant to live in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Some of them decided to highlight a specific cultural or social group who had helped shape the area. Furthermore, others focused on individuals or organizations that that had left their mark on the areas history.
     For my part, since I was the proud owner of a Danish passport why not try to call attention to the marks that Danish immigrants had left on the area. When I initially brought this subject matter to the attention of my professor he seemed very interested in the potential of the project but was unsure if I would be able to find enough primary sources that I'd be able to use in order to create a successful paper. So I ventured out into the world and started looking for those elusive primary source materials. When I found those who might possess such information and offered them my ideas I was continuously met with the same response ; "The Danish immigrants that came to the area had left no discernible impact upon the local cultural makeup. Try the Finns instead!" Soooo, I wasn't about to take that laying down and I proceeded to dig deeper. Apparently the only people of Danish descent that were worth mentioning were two Danish immigrants in particular. One was remembered for having opened the first brothel in the city of Marquette, while the other one was known quite well to local law enforcement because he ran a drinking establishment where he was running a slew of illegal enterprises out of the back.
     There simply had to be someone else out there. Then the search brought me to a passing mention of the Hemmingsen text, which was apparently left behind by a gentleman whose family had settled in Negaunee Michigan. There they had started the Danish Sisterhood of America which was an organization meant to act as an insurance company which was to help families with funeral cost that might arise upon the death of the insured.
     Needless to say, my interest had been peaked. So where was this text? Had it been translated before? Could I perhaps be allowed to do the translation? So many questions that needed answering! So my wife and I decided to meet with, and join the local Christine Lodge #1 in Negaunee, and where I'm now currently the president. In my capacity as such I have had uninterrupted access to the text for several years and have all but fully translated the text in its entirety.
     Then, lo and behold, I was able to attend the National Convention for the Danish Sisterhood of America in Denver and I spoke with many wonderful people who weren't just celebrating their Danish heritage through actions but who also were able to still converse in Danish which was a huge treat for me. During the convention the issue of retaining said Danish heritage kept creeping into the conversation and I was becoming more and more convinced that whatever history relating to the organization that might be floating around out there should be shared on a national level.
     So in order for everyone to have access to the translated version of the Hemmingsen text I've chosen to make it available to the general public through this blog. There will be no set schedule for when postings are made public but assume that every couple of days there will be several translated pages made available along with my own commentary, which will consist of thoughts and insights gathered during the translation process. If anyone from the readership comes across something that might spur questions or further insight I would implore any and all of you to contact me because I'd be more than happy to shed light on anything that you might have questions about.
     So, that was a lot of me me me me me, so how about we now switch gears and focus on the translation. Stay tuned.......

No comments:

Post a Comment