Friday, July 15, 2016

Page 64 and Page 65


Page 64:

which is why he ended up in the Horsens jail. The elder miller Johansen from Hauby, whom I have mentioned previously, created the insurance company in his younger years, and it was a shame that his son later would get in trouble because of it. However, greed is the root of all evil. During my time in Orup I was one of the founding members of an association, a cooperative store and I remained a member until I moved to America. 
I was also one of the founding members of an insurance company for farmers where they could insure their livestock. I was the president of the organization from its conception and until I ventured to America. 
I was also part of creating a health insurance association for farmers and residents in the parish of Roholte. I remained on the board until I left........
I was also a member of an association promoting better conditions for farmers as well as general laborers and I remained the district president for the entire time I was there. This organization was spreading in several areas across the country before it came to our area but it ended up covering almost all of Zealand. There were counts, barons and



Page 65:

other learned folk who began to realize that the less fortunate could benefit from their council. These land owners gave us free seed for gardening, instructions on how to tend to the plants as well as handing out rewards for gardening. We had to pay a small sum to assist with the writing and printing of publications which was taken care of primarily by the lords in lieu of them only being passive members. Then, as the association had operated for a number of years, and the nobility could see that it had done a lot of good, a meeting was called at the industrial building near the Rønned Inn. Count Molke from Sydstrup was the chairman and during this meeting they informed us that they had no more advice to give us. To be truthful it wasn't needed anymore since we were up and running now. Their recommendation was that we should go ahead and disband the association, which we did. However, at that point in time we had 1600 crowns in our treasury which we converted into a grant to be watched over by Count Molke from Sydstrup. He was to receive the money for safekeeping, and each time one of our members died, he was to pay their next of kin 5 crowns as long as there was money available. However, when all the members had passed away,  

No comments:

Post a Comment