Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Page 62 and Page 63


Page 62:

civil engineering. It was of course necessary for water to keep running through the pipes, and this job required an engineer. That was exactly what I thought I'd be good at. So I leveled the field, and if I could muster more then I would lay some pipe. The only tool that I had to help me level the area was a 20 foot long board which had a piece of wood attached to one edge. It was 18 inches tall and had a rope with a lead weight attached to one end. This made me the Superintendent of drainage for may of the local farmer's fields, which made me approximately 1 thaler a day. 
I have put in many hundred square fathoms of stone on bridges. It was extremely hard on the knees and while you were afforded a one-legged stool to sit on, one knee was always on the ground, getting wet and cold. I have done carpentry, thatched roofs, bricked a lot of houses and done a lot of work with cement. I have dug and bricked a lot of wells. Carving out several wells that were over 100 yards deep, and it was all done by hand, which took time and was very difficult. I set up and designed several gardens, I have tended to and cut ligustrum/hedges for local peasants/the women as well as making "høkasser" for them to cook lunch in as soon  


Page 63:

Veterinarian

as they made breakfast. At this point, I was already a rather well known veterinarian who was kept rather busy and actually managed to earn a little bit here and there. However, they didn't always have a lot of money everywhere I went, but people would pay me by giving me cheese, a loaf of bread , some snuff, butter, bacon, malt or other kinds of merchandise. 
It wasn't until a few years after my confirmation that I developed a desire to read and write. Above all else I spent time studying the art of veterinary sciences. After all, my father was a veterinarian, a quack if you will. He left several books behind that contained information both about how to identify animal illnesses as well as what medicines to administer. They also contained information regarding what the medicines should contain, such as herbs, roots and bark. Also, there was information about many other things that gave me much opportunity for studying, reading and writing. 
When I was seventeen years of age, I subscribed to the Faxe newspaper which was a brand new enterprise back then. In order to satisfy my thirst for knowledge I joined a sort of reading club where I received books in exchange for a small fee. When I was eighteen years old I had all of my clothes and belongings insured for $100 and I did so in the very financial institution that miller Johansen from Orup sent into bankruptcy


No comments:

Post a Comment