Friday, June 17, 2016

Page 50 and Page 51


Page 50:

A little later a spinner from Faxe arrived by the name of Jens Larsen and he wanted to go into business with me. He wanted us to either buy or build a carousel, travel the world and make lots of money. However, I soon realized that my money was supposed to buy everything. Furthermore, I knew him to be a lazy guy and I managed to talk my way out of that deal.
Meanwhile, my clog making business wasn't going as well as I had hoped. To be honest, I was never quite able to get them just right, and my earnings suffered because of it. Also, I had entirely too many opportunities to get distracted and realized that I couldn't keep up the work, so I chose to give it all up. I then bound myself to miller Johansen at Hauby mill. From the first of May 1860 and for the amount of 60 Dollars for one year. I was supposed to be his right hand man as well as his coachman. The miller was a member of parliament and spent most of his time in Copenhagen so I had to take care of almost everything at his estate. On my first day there the miller informed me as to what was left to sow. He asked me to go plough and sow seed in  


Page 51:

the soil I had cultivated the day before. So while I was out in the field sowing, the miller sent his former right hand man out to see if I knew what I was doing or if he had to step in and take over.
He had been the miller's right hand man for 26 years and was now instead put in charge of all of the large animals. When he came to see me he informed me of his business there but went immediately on to saying that he didn't think that he could sow as well as me, which was exactly what he reported back to the miller. A few days later the miller returned to Copenhagen, but not before giving me instructions as to what he wanted me to do in his absence. However, as soon as he had left I figured out exactly who was in charge. His wife was, as well as his two daughters who were around my age and very fond of going on outings. They used to tell me how happy they were finally having a young coachman. The had been stuck with old Lars for too long. So I had to drive them around almost every single day and these trips often times went into the night resulting in me not getting my ploughing done, or anything else for that matter.
So a short while later the miller returned home unexpectedly and I'm sure that I wasn't the only one who was on his toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment