Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Page 112 and Page 113


Page 112:

and I was beginning to realize that all of it had been wasted. I paid out $100 to Niels Olsen to cover back pay. I bought a team of horses off of Andreas Reis out of Green Bay. I paid $200 for it and he included harnesses in the deal as well. 
I also paid a debt to Stefen Petersen in the amount of $25. A store bill of $6.00. A bill to the blacksmith for $4.00. I hauled lumber that I was going to use to finish the house, as well as all of the materials to fix a room with a loft. I also had all of the things I needed to finish the kitchen section as well as building a stove and a number of other things we needed. It didn't take long before my wife and I began to realize that something was amiss. The problem was that I had spent all my money on her property, and did so in good faith without having any ownership in the finished product. So we decided to include each other in our respective last will and testaments. Mostly to ensure that if she died I'd get something for my investment and we once more sought out the advice of the very wise Anders Peter. He told us that it seemed to be the best for all parties involved



Page 113:

and that he would be more than capable to draw up the paperwork that was necessary. I was grateful for that, because while I was able to draw up the papers myself, I also understood that such documents were best prepared by a justice of the peace. He agreed and invited us to return in order to discuss the matter further. 
It so happened that Ms. Maria Hemmingsen and Mr. Lauritzen came to visit one Sunday and we all went to church together. While we were there, we met with Anders Peter and we agreed to follow him to his house where he drew up our last will and testament, with the two Marias as witnesses. Later on we learned that Anders Peter wasn't a justice at all and that he had deliberately deceived us. He merely wanted the money that was involved. Furthermore, we also learned that a married woman wasn't allowed to draw up such papers. Back then I was a member of the Danish Brotherhood and for each timea member died I was obligated to pay out$1.90. Most of my money was gone and no new money was coming in so I had to cancel my membership.





No comments:

Post a Comment